KAGOTE Seeks NSA Intervention Over Ogoni Oil Resumption Dialogue

KR

Written by

Promise Tambari

KAGOTE Seeks NSA Intervention Over Ogoni Oil Resumption Dialogue

The apex socio-cultural organisation of the Ogoni people, KAGOTE, has called on the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, to urgently intervene in concerns surrounding the ongoing Ogoni Dialogue Process and plans for the resumption of oil production in Ogoniland.

President of KAGOTE, Lesi Maol, made the call on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, at a press conference where he expressed concern over developments which, he said, could undermine confidence in the dialogue process and create unnecessary tension in Ogoniland.

Maol commended President Bola Tinubu for establishing the Ogoni Dialogue Committee in January 2025, describing the initiative as a genuine opportunity to rebuild trust between the Federal Government and the Ogoni people.
He also praised the National Security Adviser for his role as the Federal Government’s Chief Negotiator, saying KAGOTE believes in his integrity and distinguished public service record.

According to him, the concerns raised by KAGOTE are not directed against the Federal Government, President Tinubu, the NSA or the legitimate objective of responsibly resuming oil production in Ogoniland.

He said, “Our concerns are therefore not directed against the Federal Government, the President, the National Security Adviser or the legitimate objective of responsibly resuming oil production in Ogoniland. Rather, they relate to the conduct of a few individuals whose actions, in our view, require urgent clarification and intervention to preserve the credibility of the dialogue process.”

The KAGOTE president expressed concern over reports that certain oil-related activities may have commenced in parts of Ogoniland while consultations with stakeholders are still ongoing.
He said the absence of clear and authoritative information from the leadership of the Ogoni Dialogue Committee had created uncertainty among communities.

Maol also called for transparency in the distribution of employment opportunities reportedly extended to Ogoni youths through the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, NNPC, as part of confidence-building measures.
He said stakeholders needed to know the selection criteria and how the opportunities were distributed across Ogoniland.

Similar concerns, he said, had been raised over contracts reportedly awarded as part of confidence-building interventions.
Maol called for greater disclosure of the nature and scope of the interventions, contract values, contractors and applicable processes, stressing that transparency would strengthen accountability and dispel speculation.

On security, the KAGOTE president expressed concern over reported incidents of violence and killings in some Ogoni communities.
He appealed for strengthened security intervention, stressing that sustainable economic activities could only thrive in an environment where communities feel safe and protected.

A major concern raised by KAGOTE was what Maol described as the alleged improper use of the name and authority of the Office of the National Security Adviser in the composition of a harmonisation team.
He alleged that non-members of the Ogoni Dialogue Committee had been included in the current harmonisation list under the guise that it was the directive of the NSA.

Maol, however, cautioned against concluding that the NSA authorised the action.

He said, “We wish to state clearly that we have no basis to conclude that these actions were authorized by the National Security Adviser or his Office, unless otherwise confirmed by the NSA.”

He therefore urged the Office of the NSA to investigate the claim and clarify the procedure for determining Ogoni representation on any harmonisation or negotiation platform.

The KAGOTE president also expressed concern over what he described as inadequate information sharing among members of the Ogoni Dialogue Committee.
He said duly appointed members should have access to relevant information to enable them properly consult with and provide feedback to the constituencies they represent.

On alleged attacks against members of the committee, Maol said legitimate demands for transparency should not be portrayed as opposition to the Federal Government or attempts to frustrate oil production in Ogoniland.

He said, “Seeking transparency and accountability within the dialogue process should not be characterized as opposition to government. On the contrary, identifying and addressing weaknesses within the process will strengthen the Federal Government’s initiative and improve its prospects of achieving a sustainable outcome.”

Maol further appealed to participants in the dialogue to avoid personal attacks, inflammatory statements and actions capable of creating divisions among Ogoni stakeholders.

“The history of Ogoniland teaches us the importance of dialogue, restraint and unity. Differences of opinion must never be allowed to degenerate into hostility or incitement.”

KAGOTE consequently called on the NSA to investigate allegations that his office’s name and authority were being invoked by unauthorised persons, clarify the process for Ogoni representation, review concerns over information sharing and confidence-building interventions, and strengthen transparency and accountability within the dialogue process.

Maol stressed that KAGOTE remained committed to peaceful dialogue and constructive engagement with the Federal Government.
He said the organisation was not opposed to responsible discussions on the resumption of oil production in Ogoniland, but insisted that any process of such historic importance must be transparent, inclusive and credible.

He said, “Our position is that any process of such historic importance must be transparent, inclusive and credible and must command the confidence of both the Ogoni people and the Federal Government.”

The KAGOTE president concluded by reiterating appreciation to President Tinubu for creating what he described as a historic opportunity for dialogue and reconciliation.

He urged the NSA to urgently review the concerns and take steps to protect the integrity of the dialogue process, saying the President’s initiative should not be undermined by the actions of individuals.

More news from Kristina Reports


related stories

Error

Get the Kristina Reports Mobile App

Stay in touch with the news on the go

Kristina Reports mobile app preview