Retired military personnel on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, staged a protest in Abuja over the alleged failure of the Federal Government to implement consequential adjustments to their pensions following salary increases approved for serving military personnel.
The retirees converged in the Federal Capital Territory to demand what they described as their constitutional entitlement, insisting that pensioners who served the country for decades should not be excluded from salary-related adjustments granted to serving personnel.

The protest was centred around the Ministry of Defence, where heavy security was deployed as the retired officers attempted to press their demands. Reports indicate that armed soldiers and police officers blocked the retirees from assembling directly in front of the ministry.
One of the leaders of the retirees, retired Lieutenant Colonel Innocent Azubike, said the group was particularly concerned about the disparity that could emerge between recently retired personnel and those who retired earlier if the consequential adjustment was not implemented.
According to Azubike, President Bola Tinubu approved an increase in military salaries in November 2025, and the retirees expected a corresponding adjustment to their pensions.
He argued that excluding pensioners from the adjustment could create significant differences in pension payments among officers of the same rank and with similar years of service.
The retirees also demanded the payment of outstanding pension-related arrears, improved welfare and better access to medical care.
Another retired officer, Augustine Duru, said many veterans were struggling to afford medical treatment after spending decades in military service. He appealed to President Tinubu and the Minister of Defence, Christopher Musa, to intervene in the situation.
The protest caused heightened security around the Ministry of Defence, with personnel from the Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police Force, Nigeria Immigration Service and Vehicle Inspection Officers deployed to the area. Armoured personnel carriers and several security vehicles were also reported around the ministry, leading to traffic disruptions in parts of central Abuja.
Following discussions with government officials, the retirees later suspended the protest after receiving assurances that the matter was being addressed.
Azubike said officials informed them that the Military Pensions Board had been contacted to work out modalities for including pensioners in the consequential adjustment.
The retirees, however, warned that they would reconvene if the government failed to fulfil its assurances or if serving military personnel began receiving the new remuneration without a corresponding adjustment for pensioners.
The development has renewed concerns over the welfare of retired military personnel, many of whom depend primarily on their pensions for their livelihood and healthcare after years of service to the country.
