Over 1,000 Shacks Removed as FCTA Pushes Road Expansion in Karsana

Idaresit Joseph · @idaresit-joseph
August 25, 2025 | Kristina Reports
Share:
The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has pulled down more than 1,000 illegal structures and makeshift shacks obstructing a major road corridor in Karsana, close to Bunkoro District, Gwarimpa.
The Director of Development Control, Muktar Galadima, gave the update on Monday, August 26, 2025 during a clean-up exercise led by the FCTA joint task force.

He explained that the operation was aimed at removing illegal squatters and individuals of “questionable character” within the area.
According to him, indigenous homes were not touched. He added that the activity would continue until the entire two-kilometre stretch was cleared of encroachments.
Most of the demolished structures, he said, were temporary shelters made of wood and other non-durable materials.
“So far, we’ve cleared more than 1,000 shanties, and we’re still progressing. The entire road stretch is about 2 kilometres, filled with similar illegal structures,” Galadima stated.
He also mentioned that while the RR3 project had not yet been awarded, work was ongoing along the N16 corridor.
Galadima noted that his team had been in contact with the Department of Resettlement and Compensation to ensure indigenous communities were not wrongly affected.
“That’s why we tried not to interfere with the existence of such communities. To ensure smooth operations moving forward, we’ve requested representatives from Resettlement and Compensation to guide us on identifying genuine indigenous properties,” he added.
Also commenting on the exercise, FCTA Director of Security Services Development, Adamu Gwary, represented by Dr. Peter Olumuji of the Command and Control Unit, stressed the security gains of the operation.
He said residents of nearby estates, including Map Global, had raised concerns over safety before the clean-up.
“There is a clear nexus between development control and the security of lives and property. We observed that criminal elements often hide their shanties behind indigenous communities, using them as cover,” Gwary explained.
He confirmed that no arrests were made but assured that the operation would continue as part of efforts to strengthen security in the area.
On the ongoing crackdown on tinted vehicles, Gwary said many of the permits being used were fake and linked to criminal activities.
He maintained that despite the Inspector-General of Police extending enforcement to October 2025, the FCTA had to act early because of rising cases of “one-chance” robberies involving illegally tinted vehicles.
More news from Kristina Reports
related stories